On September 2, 2022, attorney Jay Coleman presented on the topic of education law, including the law surrounding individualized education plans for children with special needs. This presentation was recorded and posted here for your viewing. Expect to learn the following:
1. What does IDEA stand for and when did it originate?
2. What was school like for disabled children before the act originated in 1975?
3. What’s the purpose of IDEA and what does it guarantee?
4. What is FAPE and the qualifications under it?
5. What is the difference between an IEP and a 504 Plan?
6. The 13 disabilities that could qualify a child for an IEP.
7. What is the evaluation process for an IEP?
8. The importance of parental participation, but also the importance of listening to the professionals as they suggest what the child needs.
9. The quarterly evaluation.
10. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
11. What happens if your child is denied an evaluation?
12. The right to one Independent Education Evaluation (IEE) at no cost to you.
13. How to get one through the child’s school.
14. Other ways the plan protects students.
15. Manifestation Determination Hearings